Parole in Place

A recent executive action order expanded existing the immigration policy referred to as “parole in place” or PIP.  When an immigrant is “paroled”, he is allowed to be physically present in the United States for a specific purpose.  Parole can be used to permit an alien who is outside the United States to come into U.S. territory, and can also be granted to aliens who are already physically present in the U.S. without inspection or admission.  The grant of parole is authorized in one-year increments, with extensions of parole when appropriate.

When the alien is physically present in the United States, the grant of parole is referred to as parole in place.  In recognition of the soldiers and veterans that have sacrificed for and served our nation, parole in place is generally granted to their undocumented parents, spouses or unmarried minor children.  Military families benefit from this policy because it minimizes the periods of family separation, and reduces the stress members of the military face due to the immigration status of their family members.

If they satisfy the other eligibility requirements, parole in place allowsimmediate relatives of members of the U.S. Military Armed Forces and veterans that are U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents to secure permanent immigration status in the United States without having to leave the country. Entering the United States illegally or entered legally but staying past the time authorized, could render you “inadmissible” for immigration purposes.  Usually, aperson that is “inadmissible” cannot adjust their immigration status.  Once parole in place is granted, you will no longer be deemed “inadmissible” for entering illegally or for overstaying.  Therefore, if you meet the other requirements you can request adjustment of immigration status as an immediate relative of a U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Resident.

​Pursuant to the recent expansion of the parole in place policy, family members of U.S. Citizens or Legal Permanent Residents that seek to enlist in the U.S. Armed Forces are now eligible for parole.  Which means that if you can are “inadmissible” and unable to adjust your status for entering the United States illegally or staying past the time authorized; you can cure the inadmissibility by seeking to enlist in the armed forces.  If parole in place is granted, and you satisfy all the other requirements, you can then adjust your immigration status.

If you believe you are inadmissible for other reasons, or if you need assistance to determine whether your entry into the United States makes you inadmissible for adjustment of status, consult with an experienced immigration lawyer to learn more.  There is no substitute for reliable legal advice.  Immigration law is complex.  Consult with a competent immigration attorney to learn more about your options.

The Attorneys
  • Francisco Hernandez
  • Daniel Hernandez
  • Phillip Hall
  • Rocio Martinez